Sunday 22 August 2010

What Mommies Look Like?

We were at the park. Jack was enjoying a swing on the zip-line when we were approached by a woman and a 2 year-old girl. The two year old girl toddled up to the ramp where Jack was just about to land. I quickly stopped Jack in mid swing. Her mother, who to be honest seemed a little vacant, wandered over and gently guided the girl to a safer location.

Jack and I resumed swinging back and forth all the while I kept one eye on the girl. I've become used to this kind of thing at the park.

A few minutes later the little girl appeared on the other ramp, to which Jack was currently on his way with a fair bit of speed. The problem wasn't the little girl, she was far enough back on the ramp to be in no real danger. Her mother was standing in front of the ramp, right in Jack's path, sending a text on her phone. Thankfully after a fair amount of yelling I managed to get her out of Jack's way with half a second or so to spare.

The woman laughed at herself and waved at me while Jack launched himself back. She then spent the next five or so minutes texting on her phone while her 2 year-old teetered dangerously on the edge of the ramp. It was very hard for me to watch. Jack and I waited for them to leave the area before we resumed swinging but Jack was a little confused.

Daddy why did we have to wait so long?
I was concerned that we were going to hit that little girl, or the lady. I don't think she was paying much attention.
I almost runned her over didn't I?
Yeah you did, thankfully she moved in time.
I thought I was going to run her over I did.
Me to, sometimes you have to look out for the Mommies and Daddies just as much as the little kids.
She was a mommy?
Yes.
I thought she was a woman.
She's a woman as well. She was that little girl's mommy.
She doesn't look like a mommy.
...What does a mommy look like?

This is what mommies look like. I don't get it either.

1 comment:

  1. Since becoming a parent myself, I have noticed the vast and striking differences between someone who also is a 'parent' and someone who merely has reproduced. Sad day.

    ReplyDelete